Sunday, February 10, 2013

Cardigan Confessions

Hi, my name is Johnna, and I am addicted....to sweater sets.  I admit it, there's not a cardigan and shell set that I can pass up. Whether open, wrap-style, shawl, cropped, ruffled, zippered, or adorned with buttons in coordinating color shades or even rhinestones, I have to have it.  I'm a sucker for argyle, striped, patterned, or solid colors.  I don't discriminate between cotton, cashmere, crochet, or linen blend.  I can find the perfect outfit for long sleeved, short sleeves or three-quarter length. I LOVE THEM ALL!

Before a massive closet cleaning while packing to move to our new home, the cardigan count peaked at 39.  That's right....39....as in I could go an ENTIRE MONTH without repeating a cardigan wear. Of course, that did include the seasonal cardigans, which only make an appearance at the appropriate holiday, but even I know that 39 cardigans is a little excessive.

I should be clear that the majority of the cardigan collection was bought on sale or from the less expensive chains like Old Navy and Target.  However, at $30 average per cardigan....well, you do the math. And I am admitting all of this and banking on the hope that husband doesn't start reading my blog all of the sudden.

So, I decided with my last birthday, that it was time for my wardrobe to grow up with me.  No more cheap cardigans from Old Navy that ball up after two wears. It's time to class-up my cardigan collection.

At Christmas I asked for Talbots gift cards to help with the Cardigan replacement efforts.   To help prepare for the post-Christmas sale spending, I purged any remaining cardigans that didn't have a home in my grown-up wardrobe.  I started shopping for the cardigan staples....a nice black set, a charcoal gray wrap, some solid colors to wear with black or brown pants, and an argyle for those fancy feeling days.  I thought I was doing pretty good....and even threw in a turtleneck and pull-over to mix things up a bit.  (This is a SIGNIFICANT step forward for me!)

And then....this came in the mail:

The newest Talbots catalog....with a special sale:  25% off all Full Priced Cardigans. This is like crack to an addict.
I could feel the urge to run straight away to the computer to check out the cardigans online. What does Talbots have on sale? Is that periwinkle blue, open cardi with the ruffles in front available in my size?  My fingers started to twitch, poised to type in payment information. (Did I mention that I do so much online shopping that I have my credit card number committed to memory?)  
It took a few deep breaths, but I managed to control my cardigan shopping urge. And then, I went to Gymboree.com and bought a new outfit for my son.



No comments:

Post a Comment