Sunday, February 10, 2013

Happy Valentine's Day??

This is my son's first year in pre-school.  And I've got to tell you, there's been some Mommy highlights, and then those moments that the I could feel the "Mommy of the Year" trophy being slipping (or being ripped) from my finger tips.
Well, this Valentine's Day, I swore that I would not give the preschool direct any reason to doubt my mommy abilities.
On a side note, I should mention that I am one of two working mothers in my son's class.  Therefore, I have missed two of his class trips and I have not yet been able to pick him up from school. I also made a pretty big blunder on school picture day, but that's a topic for a different blog.
Armed with Pinterest on my Internet Explorer, I searched for class valentines.  Let me tell you, there are a lot of cute ideas out there.  If you have hours of free time, unlimited access to a hot glue gun, and the creative ability of Martha Stewart, you are all set. But after a few Pinterest FAILS, I am very self-aware of my crafting abilities and I didn't want to get in over my head.
So I chose a very cute, simple, and inexpensive idea...and by "chose" I mean shamelessly stealing with full intent to copy. After a trip to Michael's, I returned home ready to assemble what I was sure would be the cutest class Valentines.
Once I was finished, I have to admit, I was damn proud of myself.  The little bubble wands with Valentine's tag were just as cute as I'd hoped, and I am pretty sure that the appeal of bubbles is still there at the age of 3, but without the tendency to inhale and swallow potentially toxic soap solution. All in all, I was pretty pleased with myself.
And then, I called my husband over to show off my talents, and give him the opportunity to shower me with praise and affection.  One look at his face, and I could tell his reaction wasn't going to be what I had expected.  My bubble was burst (pun intended) with one statement: "Johnna, you can't send anything to a preschool that says 'BLOW ME.'"  And just like like that, I felt any bit of Martha that I'd been embodying slip away.  But seriously, who thinks like that?  It had to just be my husband's perverse mind.  I mean, really, nobody else would think like that, right?  No.  Three other friends supported his comments, and just like that I was back to square one, with a small investment in supplies but larger investment of my time, down the drain.
Back to Pinterest. With a new filter. And before beginning, I got the hubby's G-rated stamp - because my mind doesn't work like his does!
Overall, still cute, and I know my son loves popcorn, so hopefully other parents appreciate it too. And to make this even sweeter....I finished up the bulk case of Orville Redenbacher that I bought at BJ's months ago that my husband bet me we would NEVER use before the expiration date. Bet won, so BLOW ME, Joe!

No comments:

Post a Comment