Monday, September 9, 2013

Back to School

Different parents approach back-to-school in different ways.  (This is my way of saying that no one way is right or wrong; it's just different.)
I have friends that gathered at our local Panera on the first day of school to have some fellow mom support for the first day of school.  Other friends took a Thermos of mimosas to the bus stop on the first day to toast and celebrate the send-off.  Some moms will cry as they drop their kiddos off for the first day.  No one reaction means we love our kids any more or less than the next parent.
I believe a kid's reaction and excitement both determine how the parent feels, and is somewhat determined by the parent.
I was so nervous about Kevin going to pre-school last year that I think he sensed that.  Even though he spent the first two years of his life in daycare, and I left him with a care-giver every day, he didn't deal well with the preschool drop-off.  We both dreaded the first two weeks, when he screamed every morning when it was time for me to leave.
This year for Pre-K, both of us were much more comfortable: returning to the same school, having some familiar faces, and more confident that he was ready for the school.  And it was great.  In fact, by Friday of the first week, he didn't even say goodbye to me at drop off, but ran right off to play with his friends.
And part of me is really proud of me, and part of me was also sad.  My little guy didn't need the mommy hugs because he was not nervous.  In the end, pride has won out.....but be sure that I get my fill of hugs later in the day.
So you want to know how I was on the first day of school??  Well, as with most things about me, the reaction was mixed. Part of me was sad because I saw a little boy where my toddler was last year.  He's growing up too fast.  But then I look at him and realize how lucky we are to have him as healthy as he is today so he is able to attend Pre-K and I'm very grateful.  In a life so filled with unexpected speed bumps, tough decision, and difficult circumstances, I choose the positive.  And so, I will watch my little boy go to school every day this year with a smile and very full heart.

 1st day of Pre-School.  Fall 2012

1st day of Pre-K.  Fall 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment