Saturday, November 2, 2013

To my husband on our 11th anniversary:

Today is our 11th wedding anniversary.  I always follow that with the statement, "we got married very young!" so that nobody would think we're older than our 34 years.

But tonight I look back and can't really believe that it's been 11 years.  Add on the 6 years prior to that that we dated and were engaged, and we've been together for 17 years.  That's half of our lives that we've been a couple.  Go ahead and take a minute to process that.  Believe me, I did!

Joe & Johnna.  Johnna & Joe.  After this long, we go together so easily, that I can't even image us being apart.  Two kids from our small town, who took a big adventure together and made it this far. 

I love the life we've built together. 

I love the son that we try so desperately not to screw up and send to therapy at a young age.

But most of all, I love this man.

I love that he has never once held me back, and even though he always doesn't understand my motives, he encourages me.

I love watching him read books to our son, and hearing him make the voices of the characters.

I love that he's never taken off his wedding band, and in 11 years, it's just about worn through.

I love that he has a shoe box in our closet that is filled with birthday cards I gave him dating back to 1999.

I love that he once told me that next to his own mother, I am the strongest person he knows, and he has no idea what a huge complement it is to be compared to that amazing woman.

I love that, even though I INSISTED he help me pick out our wedding cake, he didn't get too pissed off when I went back a week later and changed the design he picked out.

I love that he dresses up for Halloween parties every year to make the experience amazing for our son, even though it's just about the worst thing on the planet for him to imagine doing.

I love that he let me win at Checkers every once in awhile.

I love that he can relate every story or problem I have to a country music song and make me laugh.

I love that he knows me better than anyone in this world, lets me be me, and loves me anyway.

I love that he gives me the ability to do it all; my career, my friends, my kid's activities.

I love that there's only a quiet "I told you so" when I overcommit and get in over my head before he jumps in to help save me.

I love that he's 100% in on this adventure with me.

We (I) said that for our 5 year anniversary, we would go to Vegas and get re-married by Elvis.  That didn't happen.  We actually spent the anniversary together at a local restaurant. 

We (I) said that for our 10 year anniversary, we'd renew our vows at the church where we got married.  That didn't happen. We had a great night out with friends though. 

For our 11th anniversary, I sat at a restaurant with my husband and our son, and realized that I don't need Elvis or the big party to celebrate another year of marriage.  Everything I need was right there with me.   

So as I type this blog, the man I love is passed out in our bed, with his arm wrapped around our son while he watches Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, and life couldn't be better. 

So on our 11th anniversary, when you got me the most beautiful flowers, all I got you was this blog.  And the promise to not breath your way tonight after consuming too much garlic at dinner tonight.   Here's to many more anniversaries and adventures, Joeybear.  I love you lots!
November 2, 2002

No comments:

Post a Comment